Friday, February 5, 2010

Lessons

I got to work this morning and I pulled up our checking account online since Ryan gets paid on Fridays...and someone had stolen our debit card info!!! They made $1800 worth of charges in California and New Jersey! I was so frustrated!

Mom said it's God teaching me compassion. Normally when people come into the bank with that problem I just tell them to call the 1-800 number and that's it. I don't offer to hear their story or let them vent, because I don't care.

And it's not that I don't care about the person I just don't care about the problem. Well, I guess that would mean I didn't care about the person either. I don't know.

But I do know that compassion has NEVER been my thing. I don't think it's that I'm completely selfish or only care about myself (or at least I hope not.)

Ryan gets mad at me about this quite often. He is one of the most compassionate people I know. It frustrates him to no end that I'm not. We had to take Spiritual Gifts test at church to see what area we are gifted in. I think there are 5 areas. Well no surprise I scored the lowest in Compassion and the highest in Administration (organizing events, keeping up with things, and coordinating people.) Ryan scored the highest in Compassion. This is proof to what I said before, we make a good team!

The first thing I did after calling to cancel the card was call my mom to "vent." There wasn't anything she could do to help me. I just wanted someone to listen and be compassionate about the situation. I guess now I'll be more sympathetic to customers when this happens to them!

Next time God wants to teach me a lesson, I wish he wouldn't take such drastic measures! Or maybe he's been trying to teach me compassion all along and I'm just to stubborn to listen. I guess he knows it's go big or go home when your trying to get something through my stubborn head!

No comments: