Saturday, October 30, 2010

American Dream

I'm frustrated.


I'm frustrated with life and where we are headed. I'm frustrated with America and how we are the most ungrateful whiny nation in the world. I'm frustrated with my kids wants.


I'm frustrated.


If you look up the American Dream in the dictionary our families picture is probably right beside it. We live in a nice house, we drive nice vehicles, we have great jobs, we have amazingly beautiful kids and a lab named Gus. American Dream.


But, it's not our dream. Ryan and I never set out for the American Dream. Actually, Ryan and I never knew what we set out for. We never really had a "plan." Our plan was to get married and hope we could pay our bills on time. Nice plan. Lately we have been talking and like I said we just feel frustrated. We both feel like we aren't doing what God has called us to do. Believe it or not we don't feel like God called us to live the American Dream. I don't think he really calls anyone to do that. We just get comfortable and settle in to our routine and are satisfied with that.


Well, we aren't.


As I sit here in my Northface jacket and Nike running shorts with my macbook computer I'm actually kinda mad at myself and the life we have created. We are way to materialistic. We care to much about what people think. But, at the end of the day what does that matter? It doesn't.


When Ryan and I talk about this we keep going back to this verse...Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless, maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Psalm 82:3.


So if you think about it say a prayer for us. We are trying to figure out our "plan" and see what we are going to do. And before my mom freaks out we aren't planning on packing up and moving to Haiti or anything. Although, that does sound rather nice right about now.

No comments: