Sunday, April 18, 2010

Scissors

I wish my dad were here, he would laugh his head off at the sight of them cutting grass with scissors.


Why would he laugh you may ask...well when I was about 13 I had a serious attitude problem. I was out of the stage of spankings so my dad was a pro at "creative punshiments!"
I was on my way to go somewhere and he wouldn't let me leave until my room was clean. I was furious! There was no way I could have it cleaned in time to go. So I went to my room and under my breath I called him a stupid idiot.
Well unfortunately my mom heard me. She made me go in there and tell him what I said. I thought he was going to yell at me. But he didn't. He calmly told me to go get some scissors. I looked at him like he was crazy but I did it anyway. He then told me he was going to show me a real stupid idiot. He told me to go outside and cut the entire fence line (2 acres) of grass with the scissors.
Because that's what stupid idiots do and every time someone drives by they'll say look at that stupid idiot cutting grass with scissors!

I've told that story a lot throughout the years. Even more since my dad passed away. It was even told from the pulpit at his funeral. My dad was so good at teaching me lessons that would always stick with me. I think I turned out a lot like my dad and that is something I am very proud of. I miss him so much and wish more than anything he could meet Ryleigh and Tanner and see how beautiful they are. How smart and funny they are. How much the two of them look and act like him even though they've never met him.

Them cutting grass with scissors had nothing to do with a punishment. They just wanted to cut grass with scissors for fun! I wonder how my dad would feel about that!?

No comments: